What is the project about?
Research Bookmark is an educational platform that facilitates learning about user experience. It covers a wide range of topics, including user research, communities, courses, and more. In 2020, there was no single website that housed all user experience knowledge. To fill this gap, we started organizing UX knowledge into simple notion pages. As the MVP was up and running, we began receiving feedback on what people really wanted in a daily UX resource.
How does research flow into the product process…
Source: smashing magazine
How did most people learn User Experience before RB? (Traditional universities, Bootcamps, Google, Social Media)
I. Research Objective and questions
Objective: Identify user needs and preferences: Conduct user research to understand the specific needs, preferences, and pain points of people who are interested in learning about user experience. This can help to refine the existing platform and develop new features or content that meet the users' requirements.
II. How do I come up with the right research questions?
- I take a deep look at the business goals in relation to the product roadmap
- I calculate my research impact by aligning with my cross functional partners
Here are a list of 10 questions derived from our sessions
- What motivated you to start learning about user experience?
- What are your biggest challenges or pain points when it comes to learning about user experience?
- What specific topics or areas within user experience are you most interested in learning about?
- How often do you visit the Bookmark platform, and what brings you back?
- What types of content do you find most helpful or engaging on the Bookmark platform?
- What type of format or delivery method do you prefer for learning about user experience (e.g., videos, articles, interactive courses)?
- Have you used other resources or platforms to learn about user experience? If so, how does the Bookmark platform compare?
- How can the Bookmark platform better support your learning journey in user experience?
- Are there any features or functionality that you wish the Bookmark platform had?
- Can you describe your ideal user experience learning resource or platform?
In 2020 we released a bare bones version of the platform for close colleagues, family and friends.
Artifact 1: the first version of RB
II. How do I select methods?
To determine methods for a study, I collaborate closely with cross-functional partners, including both technical and non-technical teams. This collaborative process allows me to take into account factors such as:
- Available resources
- Project goals
III. Conducting and Analyzing Research
Throughout my career, conducting and synthesizing UX research has become easier with the availability of many tools in the field. For this particular study, I used the following:
- SurveyMonkey for preliminary surveys
- Zoom for 1-1 remote interviews
- Maze for rapid concept testing
- Dovetail and Condens as transcription and repository tools
- LinkedIn for recruiting professionals
Key insights from research:
-When assessing the credibility of a source, many users rely on the first few sentences. This is a commonly used method for determining the reliability of information.
“Searchphobia” is a real thing. New and incoming UX professionals don't necessarily know what to look for.
IV. Turning insight into action
"To truly harness the power of user experience, a researcher must be willing to navigate the uncertain terrain of recommendations."
In my research practice, I present recommendations backed by data. However, the reality is that sometimes there is not enough data to validate a certain decision. In these cases, years of accumulated behavioral knowledge and thorough desk research come into play.
IV. Continuous Research
Continuous research in UXR is essential to ensure that the products or services being developed are meeting the needs and expectations of users. Here are some reasons why continuous research in UXR is important:
In 2022 we turned a the RB MVP into a Beta and opened it up to the world. We recorded 2500 users from 130 countries.